This area of Westside is a tract of land named Wilson’s Farm – owned by the Wilsons. Mrs. Sophie Wilson died in 1873, the land then went to another person’s life estate, that person died in 1890, another person took over and had the land divided into streets (laid our for free by convict labor), then another person laid claim to half of it so the owner had to buy them out by mortgaging the parcel and then after all that she had to default. The Wilson Family cemetery still exists on Sumter Street.
The homes in the area were originally built as duplexes and advertised as having plumbing and beautiful iron gates. Many of them today have been converted to single family homes.